What is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or CRBA?

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship. It is issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  In simple words, applying for a CRBA is the way a U.S. citizen can transmit his/her citizenship to a child born abroad.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. We also encourage you to apply for your child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.

For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please send an email to DhakaACS@state.gov and ask about Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.

Do all U.S. citizens qualify to apply for a CRBA for their child?

In order to transmit U.S. citizenship to your child using this method, please note the following conditions in order to qualify:

  1. At the time of birth, one or both parents must be a U.S. citizen.
  2. There must be a biological relationship between the child and the transmitting U.S. citizen.
  3. In the event the child has one U.S. citizen parent and one foreign national parent: The transmitting parent (U.S. citizen) must have a minimum time of physical presence inside the United States or its outlying possession. Most cases require five years of physical presence, two of the five years after the age of 14, however the law that applies on each case may be different.  For detailed information regarding physical presence requirements, please check the travel.state.gov website: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Acquisition-US-Citizenship-Child-Born-Abroad.html. In such cases, the U.S. citizen parent will need to show required years of CUMULATIVE physical presence in the U.S. Examples of items that show physical presence are entry/exit stamps in current and previous passports, school transcripts, income tax returns with Form W-2, social security earnings history, pay stubs, etc. Please keep in mind that residence is not the same as physical presence.  In this process you will need to show information/documentation that can prove your physical presence in the United States.  For example: having a driver’s license does not prove you were physically present in the U.S. for more than the day on which you obtained the license, since a U.S. driver’s license can be obtained without actually living in the United States.  On the other hand, having school transcripts shows that you have been present in school for an x period, some transcripts even count the actual days you were present. If the U.S. citizen parent cannot clearly demonstrate the required 5 years of physical presence in the United States, then the application cannot be approved, and any associated passport application will be denied. In such cases, applicants are not eligible for a refund.  Applicants are strongly urged to review their own history of physical presence in the United States before applying.
  4. When both parents are U.S. citizens, evidence of physical presence is not required. However, one parent would need to demonstrate that they have resided in the U.S. before the child’s birth.

The CRBA application process:

  1. Prepare all the forms, supporting documents, and fees mentioned in the list under Application Requirements.
  2. Submit the CRBA application package to the designated courier mentioned below under Courier Information.
  3. Wait for an email from our office regarding the CRBA appointment. If you have any questions or urgency, you should email us at DhakaACS@state.gov.

Application Requirements:

Parents typically choose to apply for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The list below covers both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and the U.S. passport application.

  • Completed form DS-2029 “Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America”. You can fill out the form online or use the pdf version, print a hard copy and attach it to the application package. Make sure the form is correctly filled out. If not, you should bring one again on the interview date. This short video will help you in completing the DS-2029 form. If the parents were not legally married at the time of the child’s birth, the transmitting U.S. citizen parent, must complete Section B of Page 3 of DS – 2029 (PDF 932 KB). This section must be notarized in the U.S. or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Completed and un-signed form DS-11: Do not sign the form. You would need to sign in front of a Consular Officer.  (You may fill out the form online or use the pdf version, print a hard copy and bring it to your appointment.  Do not sign the form – you will be asked to sign the form during your appointment. All passport forms are available here.)
  • Completed Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Only submit this form if one parent is unable to appear for the interview.  This form must be completed, signed, and notarized by a U.S. notary public. All passport forms are available here.
  • Completed DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special family circumstances. (Only submit if one parent cannot or is unwilling to provide consent).  All passport forms are available here.
  • From U.S. citizen parent: Proof of U.S. citizenship. This can include a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or a U.S. Certificate of Naturalization. You should submit the original or a clear, photocopy of your document with a U.S. notary seal.
  • From U.S. citizen parent: U.S. passport/s and previous Bangladeshi passport: Either submit the Originals or U.S. Notarized copies of all pages (even if they are blank) of all passports (U.S. and Bangladeshi).
  • From Non-U.S. citizen parent: Government issued valid photo ID (such as passport, driving license, national ID, or voter ID, etc.).
  • From mother: Prenatal documents and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).
  • From both parents: Original marriage documents. For Muslims: Original Nikah Nama (Bangla and English) and Marriage Certificate.
  • From both parents: Original or U.S. notarized divorce documents of parents (if applicable).
  • From both parents: Proof of relationship: Wedding and family photos.
  • Progression photos for the child since birth to – present
  • For child: Original registered birth certificate in English issued by Bangladesh City Corporation/Union Parishad.
  • For child: Two 2×2 passport photos for the application. Click here for more information on photo basics.
  • Fee: The CRBA fee is 100 U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Bangladeshi taka. Follow the instructions provided here (PDF 141 KB) to prepare the payment order/bank draft. Don’t forget to take a printout and bring a copy of the payment instructions with you when visiting the bank. Passport fee for a minor is 135 U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Bangladeshi taka. You must pay this fee in cash and in one type of currency at the U.S. Embassy on the day of the appointment.

Courier Information:

Once you have all the forms, documents and fees ready, print and attach the CRBA checklist (PDF 208 KB) to the application package and send us your application package through Saimon Global Ltd. at the following addresses. Please note that the Consular Section is not responsible for your documents and fees submitted to the courier.  All CRBA and passports must be picked up from Saimon Global Ltd.

Dhaka Office
House 4A, Road 22, (Ground Floor)
Gulshan, Dhaka
Phone: +88 09606 556657
Web: https://saimonglobal.com/

Chittagong Office
Ayub Trade Center (5th Floor)
1269/B Shekh Mujib Road
Agrabad, Chittagong
Phone: +88 09606 556657

Sylhet Office
1/A Ananda Tower (Ground Floor)
Jail Road, Sylhet-3100
Phone: +88 09606 556657

The courier fee for submitting your completed application package at one of Saimon Global Ltd.’s offices is BDT 690(15% VAT is included).

Application tips:

  1. You are required to submit all original documents on the list mentioned above to the courier company. However, if you are unable to submit your original traveling documents (e.g., Passports), you can submit legible copies of all the pages as long as the originals are submitted on the day of the appointment.
  2. The child must be accompanied by one or both parents on the day of the appointment.
  3. Make sure there is no black spot on the forehead of child in their passport photo.
  4. Even if you have submitted some photos as proof of relationship to the courier company, you should bring additional photos to the interview.
  5. Print the form, but please do not use two-sided printing.
  6. When completing the “Mailing address” section on our passport forms, please list an address in Bangladesh.
  7. When completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our passport forms, please list an emergency contact in the United States.
  8. During the processing period, a Consular Officer may also request additional documents in support of your application.

CRBA and Passport Delivery or Pick Up

  1. When the CRBA and passport are ready for pick up, you will receive a notification email from the U.S. Embassy.
  2. Upon receiving this email, you may collect the documents from the Saimon Global Ltd’s office. Don’t forget to bring your fee receipt and ID with you.
  3. As always, you have the option of allowing an authorized person to pick up your passport on your behalf.  The authorized person must bring a government issued ID and will need to complete the authorization form (available at Saimon Global Ltd. and on the U.S. Embassy’s website).
  4. Please see below courier fees for picking up your documents:
  • Saimon Global Ltd., Dhaka: BDT 690 (15% VAT is included)
  • Saimon Global Ltd., Chittagong: BDT 690 (15% VAT is included)
  • Saimon Global Ltd., Sylhet: BDT 690(15% VAT is included)

Office Timing

Sun-Thu 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM